Friday, May 9, 2008

Miss Me?

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Sorry I disappeared for so long. Not only did I move to a new department at work where internet time is virtually impossible, I am also in the midst of recording with the band. Everything's coming along real well, we're very excited. But more on that later.

Thanks to those of you who checked in on me. I am fine and still cooking away!

In fact, we had a coupla birthdays go by, as you may remember me mentioning in my last entry from so long ago. The first one was for guitarist and friend, Matt. See, his all-time favourite poison of choice is Guinness. It's not for me, but different strokes for different folks!

In honor of his love for the liqour, I made a 4-layer chocolate cake with chocolate and buttercream frosting in the shape of a mug of Guinness!

Matt's cake

(Sorry for the lopsided picture. I didn't mean to force you guys to turn your heads sideways. I forgot to upload the better pictures and they're at home right now! Perhaps I will do a little post in-between posts to show you some better angles.)

I have to admit, I got the idea from something I saw online, but mine is vegan so it's automatically that much cooler. Of course, as always, Mike helped with the label design, made entirely of marzipan and frosting. I shouldn't even use the word 'helped'. He actually did the whole label on his own.

Speaking of Mike, he turned the big 3-0 this year and little did he know, I had been planning a big surprise party for him. It turned out amazing- all our friends and family were there to celebrate with lots and lots of awesome food and he was plenty surprised! Let me tell you, I had TONS of cooking to do. In fact, I took a whole day off from work and was cooking from 9 in the morning to 11 o'clock at night (with minimal breaks). I am like a machine when it comes to this stuff!

Firstly, I am going to do some picture recycling. For the main meal, I made V-Con's Pumpkin Baked Ziti since it's so fabulous. FOUR pans of it!

Baked Pumpkin Ziti

Next, seeing as Mike is a HUUUGE peanut butter fan, I made The Joy of Vegan Baking's unbelievably delicious peanut butter cookie recipe, tossing in some white chocolate chips (an idea entirely of my own).

Peanut Butter cookies

I can't even begin to tell you how sweet and yummy these cookies are. In fact, here's a close up if you need a more visual idea:

Peanut Butter cookie

Did I mention Mike is also a lover of bananas and all things banana flavoured? I could not think of anything more perfect than Vegan Cupcake's Take Over the World's Elvis version Banana cupcakes with Peanut Butter frosting!

Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting

This recipe came from the banana split recipe without the 'split' part. Isa and Terry suggested taking out the chocolate and pineapples and filling it with peanut butter frosting. Unbelievable! These were the real winners at the party.

Even though Mike was turning 30, we still went all out with silly decorations and things (more pictures later) all Super Hero themed! To keep with it, I purchased Spiderman cupcake liners. How cute are these?

Cupcake wrapper

We also had hummus and tabouli wraps on whole wheat. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of these because I was running around like a madwoman. But let me assure you, if you haven't had hummus and tabouli wraps by now, you're a very bad vegan. Or person, in general. ;) Something sooooo delicious, yet so simple. And it's not even fattening! Who woulda thunk?

We had lots of organic soda, chips, popcorns, salsas, ice cream, etc... (things we rarely ever buy, in fact, much to the joy of our GI tracts). But the best part, of course, was his birthday cake!

I was having trouble deciding what to do because I usually bake the cakes and make the frosting while Mike decorates them. He's an illustrator and a very talented one, at that! I, myself, well... I suck. I can make food taste good, but I have trouble making it look like art.

So I finally decided on a Spiderman design (still sticking to the theme). Using all natural plant-based dyes, I whipped up a few frostings and set to work on my 18 inch German Chocolate sheet cake- my favourite recipe from Sinfully Vegan. I filled the insides with strawberry buttercream and began my journey into the land of frosting art.

Here is what I came up with:

Mikey cake

Mikey cake D

Mikey cake B

In the end, I was very proud of my accomplishments. I was excited to show everyone, but was sorely disappointed when I kept getting laughs and 'that's cute!'. I suppose I have to admit, it IS more 'cute' than anything else, but I was hoping for a few 'really cool's'. This is why I leave the cake design to the art department (Mike) on most occassions.

In the end, Mike really, really loved it and thought it was awesome. And I know that's all that REALLy counts.

Oh, and the fact that this cake was DELICIOUS! And it was also HUGE. I had to send tons of people home with slices.

So I've got a lot more catching up to do with picture posting, but I'll end it here for now.

After all this junk, Mike and I have finally commenced our 'Liver Detox Diet'. I had done lots of research and finally scheduled out an eating plan for the next 4 weeks. I'll be doing a full post on it later, but basically it consists of 2 weeks of eating the best you can (lots of fruit, veggies, whole grains, nuts, etc...) with herbal liver support teas as well as FRESH juices, all day long. Lots of peeing will be going on, I tell ya. After the two-week mark, we will go on a strictly fresh juice and herbal tea fast for two days with an all-water fruit diet the third day. This is when the real 'clean-out' begins. Then 2 weeks following the fast, we continue our super, squeaky clean diet. After that, we can go back to eating mostly healthy with a few treats here and there. This is something that should ideally be done twice a year.

I am excited to reap the benefits of this detox! From all my research and the testomials I've heard and read, doing this will give me tons more energy and strength, clear up any acne, make me smell better (not that I smell bad now!!! Well, not TOO bad...) make me feel more rested in the morning, bring my mood way up, put a bounce in my step and just create a bright glow in me all around. I'm also back to exercising, which is always an amazing feeling. This way of living has been a long-time coming. I've still got vocal recording to do, so I'm sure this diet will boost my confidence and help keep up my stamina with long hours in the studio!

Anywho, I will shut the hell up now so I can catch up with all of your blogs. I've missed your guys and your awesome food!

Let's just hope I can get past the tempting desserts...

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back!! I missed you!! =)

Your guinness cake looks AWESOME. You are so talented in baking, look at all those yummies. Keep posting!

Kang Doy's Bloggy Blog Blog Blog said...

YAY! New post! :-)

It's been an awesome two months of trying and eating your treats!

Out of everything I tried, my favorites were the Guiness and Spiderman cakes (amazing detail on both, and the Spiderman cake WAS really cool!) The pumpkin ziti and the banana cupcakes.

Soooo what's the next occasion??? :-) Haha, you're probably done planning for the next few months.

Vegan_Noodle said...

So glad you're back!! I figured you were busy in the studio. Can't wait to hear how that is going.

Wow, all these desserts are fabulous. And I must say, I thought your superman cake was super cool. Not cute, just cool. You have much better decorating skills that you admit! And wow, three batches of pumpkin ziti!

Glad you are posting again :-)

Anonymous said...

That party was the best ever. I have to thank you for the hundreth time. -:>D

And, of course, all of the food was incredible. It made me really hungry to see it all again. Especially the baked ziti. Mmmmmmmmmmm...

Now I've gotta get back to eating my fruit and veggies.

-:>D

Anonymous said...

That party was the best ever. I have to thank you for the hundreth time. -:>D

And, of course, all of the food was incredible. It made me really hungry to see it all again. Especially the baked ziti. Mmmmmmmmmmm...

Now I've gotta get back to eating my fruit and veggies.

-:>D

Anonymous said...

Awesome cake decorating, they both look great!

A detox doesn't sound like such a bad idea right about now... Wish I had the restraint. Good luck with it!

Rural Vegan said...

Yay, you're alive! And yay, you're cooking! Welcome back!

That Guiness cake is awesome. I've said it before, but you have some very lucky friends! And the Banana Peanut Butter cupcakes are making me consider buying VCTOTW, even though I am not a cupcake enthusiast. Yumm!

Again, welcome back!

Ruby Red said...

You're back, you're back!!! Three cheers for that.

I cannot get over your four-layer Guinness cake. You rock, a lot. I also thought it was quite impressive that you were able to cook from 9 am to 11 pm. Wow, you are a machine!

I've been into peanut butter and banana everything lately, so those Elvis cupcakes sound that much more awesome and appealing right now. There's nothing like a VCTOTW cupcake to liven up a party!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

You’re back!!!! Yay!!!! And I love your creative cakes! As for picture recycling, you can show me a picture of that gorgeous pumpkin baked ziti every damn day and I will be happy!

aTxVegn said...

Of course we missed you! I think your spiderman looks totally cool. You did a great job. But I really love the banana cupcakes with pb frosting!

Thanks for your nice comment. It means a lot coming from someone who truly understands.

Unknown said...

I've been thinking of detoxing, too. I'm sure I need it. Also, a break from all the baked stuff would be good for my ass.

The food looks great!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

WELCOME BACK!!! Glad to see that you've been keeping busy - especially in the kitchen! :0)

Theresa said...

Welcome back! I missed seeing your blog posts and your creative cakes, so I'm glad to see you're back with several! Maybe you should start a vegan party business, because you're super good at organising creative, un-tacky themed parties.

Jess said...

Welcome back!! I want to comment on each picture individually, but I'll keep it short & say that everything looks REALLY amazing! You are so sweet to plan that party for Mike! I really want to go make those PB cookies right now...

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

you're back! And with awesome stuff again! Seriously, I was like "who did the cake? cause the angles are nice." :o

And your cleanse sounds wonderful, is it basically just eating healthfully and no sugar kind of thing? With the exception of peanut brittle, I've been doing that! Seaweed cancels out brittle, right? :p

Anonymous said...

I definitely know what it's like to need a break every now and then. I was gone for 6 months and am just now catching up on all my favorite blogs. Hope you come back soon.

This looks like one hell of a fun party!

Sarah P said...

the guiness cake is incredible, and those cookies?! I WANT.

Anonymous said...

That Spider-Man Cake looks incredible!! I think it looked REALLY COOL!!

From Liigo at SpidermanCakes.com